Thursday 20 October 2011

Introduction to the Blog

I am currently a Masters student undertaking another strand of research within the area of elearning. As I approach the final project I need to look at the theories behind Games Based Learning and the current trend of using gamification with intefaces for more serious apps... Is this a trend or is this here to stay...? does this approach offer persuasive attactive and engaging solutions to the potential learner et etc

The object is to produce a Scholarly paper and proof of concept, hopefully producing something engaging with the Adobe elear4ning suite, coupled with the need to learn C# for my final project I have my work cut out

My areas of interest with any digital solutions  have been transition and interface so theres no change here <sic>

Mike Dearing post grad undertaking MSc Digital Solutions  eLearning Technologies

3 comments:

  1. Hopefully we'll see game based learning improve! From the game to learn team
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trannJU1zPk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I thought that the video works really well and the children seem engaged, (they look like a good class)

    I've just completed the white paper I refer to in the blog here, it centres on the crossover, boundary, liminality or interface where gaming stops and education starts or vice versa... and I still think the jury is out, but I can see plenty of serious games and immersive environments that borrow from things that are atrracive and engaging within specific gaming communities.

    I think an interesting comment was cited in a recent article authored by Fanning Bunch and Brighton (2011)

    International Journal on e-learning 10 (2), 127-144

    Innovations in education and entertainment settings: a quest for convergence.. (Typically I received this after I completed my paper)

    But they cited an example where they were present at a conference and an instructional designer stood up and said ".. The trouble is that game developers want to try and lose the educational content.." I am paraphrasing here but essentially the idea was that the game developers found the pedagogical " stuff" a bit dull.

    I can't say I blame them, as I know I've developed a prototype serious game in Second Llife, and built other educational assessment and learning interventions and I'm afraid I think they end up a bit too worthy for their own good...

    However we have to start somewhere... And I think there's an element of the fashion industry in using games in education, I am an advocate, and I think I would like to be in the vanguard of building "stuff" that interesting... but its essentially down to the student....

    ReplyDelete