Wednesday 7 December 2011

Qualifying gaming based learning with environments and outcomes

I have started to read many papers on Games Based Learning and I have noticed that the degrees of sophistication seemed to have increased as the technology advances.. My usual reaction is to strip the process back to some basic precepts seems to be opening even more cans of worms….

Tracking precepts down seem to always go back to the conventions that we are slaves to the types of abilities that people have in their approaches to learning; whether they are visual aural or constructivist  learners by nature and then whether these learners  benefit from cooperation with larger bodies of like minded learners (Wengers communities of practice and enquiry) and then whether the heightened sense of collaboration adds extra cognitive value akin to P2 and Presence pedagogy (Garrison,  Bronack et al  etc).

So at the current time I am trying to weigh up in my mind which elements I can cherry pick with a mix of instinction and qualitative analysis to embed into a potential learning experience that  then can demonstrate that both from an enjoyment and theoretical perspective that any intervention I design ticks the right box..... Ho hum.. rather a tricky utopia I feel.. I think as long as good practice is embedded and if the learning process is gamey/ or fun enough...then the learning and assessment outcomes must surely be satisfactory…?   I wonder whether these wonderful learning metaphors that constantly litter current gaming and learning academia are quantitative enough?

As I wander through my games research I note with some interest the sometime banned ( and undoubtedly stereotypical and morally questionable) game "Ghettopoly" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/  seems to engender developing ace business studies skills though of a rather dubious and dystopian nature.. The learning outcomes also being a better understanding of the TV to DVD series “The Wire” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wire

No comments:

Post a Comment